In line with promoting curriculum innovation, the crucial role of 21st century TVET Trainer in relation to Educational Technology, STEMified TVET, project-based learning and institutional assessment and facilities development bridging quality TVET, the TESDA Central Office, represented by Executive Director David B. Bungallon, NITESD, visited the Regional Training Center-Korea Philippines Vocational Training Center, Davao’s ongoing construction of the Training Center’s Innovation Center last Monday, September 5, 2022.
In terms of topographic location, the construction site of the Proposed Innovation Center Building is located at the lowest elevation within the TESDA Compound. Its natural ground line is situated at -2.50 meters from the existing Road level, the National Highway, based on a topographic survey conducted. With the site location being at the lowest elevation, the center has man made ponds in this area, where the rainwater is being collected during the rainy season.
Base on the given construction plans for the Innovation Center, the following problems may arise:
- Flood, especially during the rainy season.
- Backflow of the drainage system, to and from the street / main sewer, since the public sewer is at ±2.0 meters elevated from the Proposed Innovation Center Building finished floor line.
- If the public sewer is full during heavy rain, possible overflowing of water will backflow at the Innovation center.
- The expected architect’s façade or front view will be unachievable.
- In addition, there is a proposal of KOICA Phase 3, to be constructed beside the Proposed Innovation Center Building which will be situated at a higher elevation. This will contribute to a more flood risk area, to the Innovation Center Building, due to runoff flow.